Since 1988, Orbital Fabrications Ltd have been offering specialised orbital welding and high purity fluid handling systems to a variety of clients within the semiconductor, pharmaceutical, aerospace, chemical and allied industries.
Due to the Company’s continued growth, a project engineer with mechanical design experience is required to work within our Engineering Department, reporting to the Engineering & Projects Manager, alongside our specialised Engineers both in-house and on-site.
The role is all encompassing with respect to project engineering/management of contracts from £10K to £1000K, throughout the U.K. from order to commission stage.
Although this is an office-based role, it will require visits to customer sites and on occasion may result in overnight stays. A full U.K. driving license and the ability to travel is essential.
Position: Project Engineer
Location: St. Ives, Cambridge
Working hours: 08:30 – 17:00 Monday – Thursday / 08:30 – 16:00 Friday
Role and Responsibilities
- Responsible for in-house and site contracts from receipt of order and handover from the sales team, through to successful completion.
- The role will involve working closely with various departments, specifically engineering, operations, production and site.
- Ownership of multiple projects, developing a close working relationship with the client and ensuring all internal departments and staff are fully aware of the details of the contract and project timescales.
- Primary point of contact for the client and/or internal stakeholders throughout the life of the project, up to, and even beyond the successful completion of the project.
- Review technical specifications, drawings and other documents in readiness for project reviews.
- Produce technical documents for projects, including component and equipment submissions, programmes of work etc.
- Creating and maintaining models and drawings relevant to the project:
- Development of whole products, sub-assemblies and parts
- Generate 3D models, renders and manufacturing drawings using SolidWorks
- Generate 2D layout drawings and P&ID’s using AutoCAD
- Monitor compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies and deliver work/documentation packages in line with client standards and specifications.
- Perform overall quality control of the work; budget, schedule, plans and report regularly on project status to stakeholders.
- Capture any variations to the project scope and liaise with the relevant team to ensure any additional costs are quoted.
- Work with external manufacturing partners, suppliers and sub-contractors.
- At all times it is essential that the Project Engineer is aware of the status of each of their contracts and that all relevant parties are kept informed.
- Utilise the Company’s ERP system (EFACS) to manage and maintain records, BoM’s, manufacturing routings and DCN’s.
Qualifications and Training
- University degree in a relevant Engineering discipline (mechanical/chemical/industrial).
- Proven experience in mechanical assemblies/welded fluid systems/site installations.
- Project management, problem solving and analysis skills.
- An adept communicator able to build good working relationships across all teams.
- Be proactive and demonstrate a high level of self-motivation.
- Have a flexible attitude towards conducting work priorities based on other categories.
- Able to stay focussed under pressure and with multiple task requirements.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Project)
- Excellent SolidWorks and AutoCAD skills.
- Familiar with orbital welding processes, ultra-high purity handling systems and Swagelok®
- Familiar with requirements for semiconductor and pharmaceutical work packages (ASME).
Dependent on experience
Supplementary pay types:
Annual performance bonus (subject to company performance)
Christmas bonus (subject to company performance)
- 25 days annual leave, plus 8 bank holidays
- Company enrolled pension scheme
- Regular performance appraisals and continual formal training and development
- Annual pay reviews
- Company events
- Free on-site parking